Patrick J. Bartels is a co-managing member of Keefe Bartels, L.L.C. with offices throughout New Jersey including Red Bank, Newark, and New Brunswick. Mr. Bartels practices extensively in the areas of complex toxic tort matters involving asbestos and benzene exposures, class action and employment law. He specializes in the representation of individuals suffering from occupational diseases such as asbestosis and mesothelioma.
AV Rated, Mr. Bartels is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and is admitted to practice in the State and Federal Courts in New Jersey, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the U.S. Court of Military Appeals. Mr. Bartels is also a member of the Middlesex County Bar Association and Trial Lawyers of New Jersey.
Mr. Bartels served as Co-Counsel in a national consumer fraud class settlement in Chicago, Illinois on behalf of thousands of consumers nationwide. Recently, he served as Co-Counsel in a consumer fraud action seeking class certificate, Cooper et al. v. Cendant Corporation et al. Mr. Bartels has managed and prosecuted numerous complex matters involving defective products such as Rezulin, Baycol and breast implants.
In 1992, Mr. Bartels joined Garruto Galex & Cantor in East Brunswick, New Jersey where he worked in their asbestos litigation department. Since that time, Mr. Bartels has successfully represented hundreds of victims of asbestos-related diseases. Mr. Bartels’ notable accomplishments include mesothelioma jury verdicts of $3.5 million and $2.1million and numerous multi-million dollar settlements.
Following a brief tenure at a small Plaintiff’s firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr. Bartels accepted a position as an Assistant Prosecutor in the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s office in New Brunswick, New Jersey from 1989 to 1992 during which time he tried numerous felony matters before the Superior Court. Additionally, Mr. Bartels successfully argued several matters before the New Jersey Appellate Division involving important search and seizure issues affecting schools and emergency situations. Mr. Bartels served as the County’s first legal advisor to the then newly formed Middlesex County Environmental Crime Task Force.
Mr. Bartels graduated from the University of Dayton and the University of Dayton School of Law. He served as a Captain in the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General (JAG) Department from 1982 to 1987. While serving as a Judge Advocate Mr. Bartels litigated over 50 criminal trials and numerous administrative hearings. Mr. Bartels was honorably discharged from the Air Force in 1987.
Areas of Practice:
- Class Actions
- Age Discrimination
- Complex Litigation
- Courts-Martial & Discharge
- Disability & Illness Discrimination
- Employee Rights — Employee
- Employment Discrimination — Employee
- Employment Discrimination — Employer
- Federal Employer’s Liability Act (FELA) — Employee
- Medical Products & Devices
- Military Justice
- National Origin Discrimination
- Pharmaceutical Products
- Police Misconduct
- Race Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Sexual Harassment — Employee
- Sexual Harassment — Employer
- State Appellate Practice
- State Trial Practice
- Whistleblower — Employee
- Wrongful Death — Plaintiff
- Wrongful Termination — Employee
- Wrongful Termination — Employer
- Pennsylvania, 1982
- New Jersey, 1988
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1983
- University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio J.D.
- University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio B.A. major: Psychology
- National Business Institute: February 20, 2013
- Law Practice Management: Hot Topics and Current Practices
- Asbestos Litigation Update: Special Master Session, Hyatt New Brunswick, NJ New Jersey, March 26 2012, HarrisMartin New Jersey Asbestos Litigation Conference
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member
- The American Trial Lawyers Association – ATLA Top 100 Lawyers – New Jersey
Past Employment Positions:
- Garruto Cantor, Partner, 1992-1997
- Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecutor, 1989 – 1992
- US Air Force, Assistant Judge Advocate, 1982 – 1987
- 1957, Glendale, West Virginia, United States of America